Wonderful year had many highlights
By MADHU SRIDHAR
As I complete my first year as president of the League of Women Voters of the San Antonio Area, I want to thank each of you for making this past year a great success for the League’s mission. TOGETHER, we accomplished a lot.
The reward for good work is more work. So recharge your batteries during the summer months and be ready to launch the Get Out the Vote campaign for the November elections.
It is indeed with great deal of pride that I share below some of the highlights of our work together during the past year:
- 51% increase in membership
- Voters Bill of Rights in English and Spanish signed by Mayor Ron Nirenberg, Judge Nelson Wolff, Elections Administrator Jacque Callanen and me as local League president.
- Vote! It’s in Your Best Interest brochure in English and Spanish
- Voters Guide redesigned with new features: About this Guide, How the League Gathered
- the Data, Voters Bill of Rights, a letter from the President, etc.
- Forums on Public Education, Transportation and Human Trafficking
- Launching of series of three Running For Office Workshops
- Development of strategic partnerships with Latino/Hispanic organizations: LULAC, Mi Familia Vota, UnidosUS, Esperanza, SWVRP, etc. and key relationships with Latino/Hispanic community leaders and activists
- Two op-eds by the president in the San Antonio Express-News and Letters to the Editor in San Antonio Express-News
- Launch of New Website with content updated on a regular basis
- Digital Newsletter
- First ever Fiesta Medal of LWVSAA won first place in membership category in Express-News contest.
I look forward to working with you this coming year as we continue to implement our shared vision of a vibrant, healthy and inclusive democracy.