Protect your vote by planning ahead
- Well before the registration deadline, use the registration check of the Texas Secretary of State Elections Division to make sure you are registered in the county where you reside.
- Update your name or address if they have changed since you registered:
- Add an Election Protection Coalition Hotline telephone number (see below) to your cell phone so that you can step out and call for expert advice if you run into problems at the polls.
- Take advantage of Early Voting for shorter lines and so that there is time to resolve any registration or ID issues.
- Along with your required voter ID, it is a good idea to bring your voter registration card with you to the polls so that if your name is not on the Official List of Registered Voters, you have proof that you are registered.
- Make sure the selections on the ballot summary card—which will print out after you make selections on the computer screen—are exactly what you chose before putting it in the tabulator to cast your ballot. This is your opportunity to verify that your ballot says what you want it to. Request a new ballot if any of the choices printed are not correct.
Election Protection Hotlines
The Election Protection coalition has attorney-staffed hotlines you can call to help you with questions during Early Voting and on Election Day.
- 866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683) – English language hotline
- 888-VE-Y-VOTA (888-839-8682) – Spanish language hotline
- 888-API-VOTE (888-274-8683) – Asian language hotline
- Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Bengali, Hindi, Urdu, Tagalog
- 844-YALLA-US (844-925-5287) – Arabic language hotline
- 301-818-VOTE (301-818-8683) – ASL video call number
- 888-796-VOTE (888-796-8683) – Disability Rights Texas
Know your rights as a voter at the polls
Did you know you have the right to vote when the polls close as long as you are already line? Did you know you have the right to bring your children to the polls with you?
Read the Texas Voters' Bill of Rights now, or print a copy to have on hand when you go to the polls.
Texas Voters' Bill of Rights (pdf) | (docx)
Declaración de Derechos Electorales En El Estado De Texas (pdf)